Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ RED HOOD

 


BY ELANA K ARNOLD


NARRATED BY JANUARY LAVOY





THE DETAILS


❐ CONTEMPORARY MIXED WITH FANTASY
❐ METAPHORICAL/ALLEGORICAL
❐ 2ND PERSON POV 
❐ GIRL POWER/FEMINISM
❐ LOOSELY BASED ON RED RIDING HOOD
❐ VIOLENT TO THE POINT OF POSSIBLY GOING TO FAR
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 8 HOURS, 14 MINUTES
 I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY


There are plenty of readers/listeners that didn't really care for this...and I can see their points of contention.  It does graphically expound on the very worse parts of having a period...not to say that they have good parts.  It was weird, uncomfortable even, and probably could have been toned down quite a bit.

The other element of this story that many couldn't deal with is that it's told in second-person.  It's funny, I tried listening to this a couple of months ago and couldn't deal with that aspect at all.  When I picked this up again, I never even noticed it.  It must've been the perfect moment for me to pick this book up.  

Overall, there are many ways to look at this story...because it's deep, with layers (you know like an onion or an ogre).  While it does venture into a place that is filled with vengeance and violence...I think it did that to make a point but also, for me personally, by the end...I think they may have gone too far to get that point across.

Last but not least, I'm quite positive that the elements of this book I did like were made possible due to the fantastic narration by January LaVoy.  Sometimes, I'm slightly underwhelmed (she is always good, though) by her performances, and on others, she freaking nails it.  This is one where she nailed it.


BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 5 STARS
Plot  3.7/5
Characters  4.3/5
The Feels  4/5
Pacing  4.3/5
Addictiveness  4.3/5
Theme/Tone  2.7/5
Originality  3.5/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  4.2/5
World-Building  3.5/5
Ending  2.5/5
SUMMATION  3¾ STARS




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER