Pages

Monday, October 26, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ THE HANDMAID'S TALE

 


BY MARGARET ATWOOD


NARRATED BY CLAIRE DANES





THE DETAILS


❐ THE HANDMAID'S TALE #1
❐ SINGLE POV --OFFRED
❐ DEPRESSING DYSTOPIAN WORLD
❐ OPPRESSION OF WOMEN
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 12 HOURS, 6 MINUTES
 I LISTENED ON AUDIBLE


I have one question:  Why the hell were these men so special that the whole world revolved around them.  I didn't get it.

This book feels like a nightmare...one of those ones where you wake up and think WTF was that about...with incidents so crazy that it feels like it could never happen in real life.  Please tell me this could never happen???

I never read classics...they are too literary for me.  Filled with an overabundance of explanations and words of every little item in view of the narrator...that tends to bore me.  This book has that in spades.  But since I keep hearing good things about the show...and I'm really curious to try watching it.  I figured I needed to read/listen to the book first, of course.  Now, upon finishing this, especially with that non-ending of an ending; I'm even more intrigued to start the show.  It looks like it goes much deeper with Offred's character and the world in general...hopefully, there is some serious ass-kicking and taking back what was stolen from them.

Claire Danes may have infused too much despair into her monotone narrative because I couldn't shake the overwhelming depression this left with me.  Basically, she could be perfect, but I was too muddled in despair to notice.  I can't really figure out if I liked her or not.



BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 4 STARS
Plot  4.3/5
Characters  4.3/5
The Feels  4.3/5
Pacing  3.7/5
Addictiveness  3.8/5
Theme/Tone/Intensity  3.7/5
Originality/Believability  4/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  3.7/5
World-Building  3.5/5
Ending  3/5
SUMMATION  4¼ STARS




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER