Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ DARK AUGUST




BY KATIE TALLO

NARRATED BY PIPER GOODEVE





THE DETAILS


❐ A HAUNTED, ALMOST SULTRY ATMOSPHERE
❐ SLOW-BURN MYSTERY
❐ ONTARIO, CANADA SETTING
❐ AMATEUR SLEUTHING
❐ ONE COOL ASS DOG NAMED LEVI & A GHOST TOWN
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 12 HOURS, 18 MINUTES
 I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY


I do love a story with a dog in it...and Levi the dog was pretty awesome...but then most dogs are.

A small-town girl goes home and stumbles upon the last case that her mother was working on before she was killed in a car accident...something about it doesn't sit right with and her so she starts digging into it...and someone seems to be determined to stop her, but who???  And far will they go to stop her?

Overall, a good solid story ...just took forever to get anywhere with it...with overly descriptive writing this was definitely a slow-burning mystery and I'm not always a fan of this style of writing.  So I forgot to pay attention quite often while listening and I didn't really feel like I had missed all that much most of the time...although, I did rewind it a couple of times.

The narration was performed well by Piper Goodeve...bringing the slow almost sultry, creepily spooky atmosphere to the forefront.  Admittedly, maybe a tad too much.  I kept checking to see where the setting was...because it felt like this was southern gothic.



BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 4½ STARS
Plot  3.8/5
Characters  3.7/5
The Feels  3/5
Pacing  2/5
Addictiveness  3/5
Theme, Tone, or Intensity  3.5/5
Originality/Believability  3.5/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  2.5/5
Twisty-ness/Mystery  3.5/5
Ending  3/5
SUMMATION  3½ STARS






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER