Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ THE LESSER DEAD

 


BY CHRISTOPHER BUEHLMAN


NARRATED BY CHRISTOPHER BUEHLMAN




THE DETAILS


❐ HORROR OF THE VAMPIRIC KIND
❐ SINGLE POV --JOEY PEACOCK
❐ NARRATED BY THE AUTHOR
❐ BLOODY, GRITTY, UNFORGIVING, AND ODDLY HUMOROUS
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 9 HOURS, 40 MINUTES
 I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY


I've been saving this one for Halloween Bingo since it was perfect for Vampires Square.  I'm so glad I finally got a chance to listen to this book because it blew away my expectations.  

When I see that a book is narrated by the author, I'm always a little wary...sometimes they don't make the best narrator for the story...since you kind of need at least some acting chops to give a decent performance.  Christopher Buehlman knocked this out of the park...both with writing and narrating.

This book is dark & bloody, with scary-ass vampires...it made me feel like maybe they really could exist and they are just erasing are memories so we don't know...

so creepy...  

Joey Peacock, what a dandy name for a blood-sucking vampire, his wit and candor rival that of Damon Salvatore.  And yet, he is one-of-kind...he made me laugh out loud which was both odd and endearing at the same time.  I felt like I shouldn't have been laughing when he got pummeled between a subway car and the tracks...but the lines were delivered so crassly, so blasé, that I couldn't help myself.  

If you think you've conceived vampires in every possible way...and this couldn't add anything to the genre...you're wrong.



BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 5 STARS
Plot  4.5/5
Characters  5/5
The Feels  5/5
Pacing  4.5/5
Addictiveness  4.5/5
Theme, Tone or Intensity  5/5
Originality/Believability  5/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  4.5/5
World-Building  5/5
Ending  4.5/5
SUMMATION  4¾ STARS


I LISTENED TO THIS FOR THE SQUARE


FOR HALLOWEEN BINGO 2020





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER