Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ BIRD BOX


BY JOSH MALERMAN


NARRATED BY CASSANDRA CAMPBELL





THE DETAILS


❐ BIRD BOX #1
❐ TOLD IN THE PAST AND THE PRESENT
❐ AN UNSEEABLE MONSTER
❐ ONCE YOU DO SEE IT...YOU DON'T LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT
❐ APOCALYPTIC HORROR
❐ A BIT OF A PSYCHOLOGICAL MINDFUCK
❐ THERE IS A MOVIE
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 9 HOURS, 8 MINUTES
 I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY


The narration was performed terrifically by Cassandra Campbell.  Oddly enough she even sort of sounded like Sandra Bullock.  

I've thought about reading this book for some time now...even before the movie came out.  Ultimately, I always chickened out since scary isn't really my thing.  The movie (since I can't very well watch the movie before I've read/listened to the book, now can I) and Halloween Bingo made me give in to the experience of this book.  I'm thrilled that I did...because while it is super intense and I'm not even sure I'll watch the movie because of that...this book was undoubtedly an experience.  I will however listen to the second book (Malorie) that just recently came out.

I did think there were a few plot holes or things that didn't quite make sense...like how did she drive to that other house without laying eyes on one of "them"...she couldn't have kept her eyes closed the entire way...so, are we to assume that she just got lucky and didn't see any?  I was also really miffed by the fact that by the end, we still didn't know much about what this monster really is...so much mystery surrounding "them".  Maybe, were suppose to wonder about them, have these thoughts insidiously sitting in the back of our minds...worrying about it happening in real life.  Seriously though, even if that was the Authors intention and I had read this way back when it came out, I would have been really put off by the lack of a second book.



BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 5 STARS
Plot  4/5
Characters  4.5/5
The Feels  4.5/5
Pacing  4.2/5
Addictiveness  4.5/5
Theme, Tone or Intensity  5/5
Originality/Believability  4.3/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  4.5/5
World-Building  4/5
Ending  4/5
SUMMATION  4½ STARS


I READ THIS FOR THE SQUARE




FOR HALLOWEEN BINGO 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER