Pages

Friday, September 11, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ THE TWISTED ONES



BY T. KINGFISHER

NARRATED BY HILARY HUBER



THE DETAILS


❐ FOLKLORE-ISH, WEIRDLY HORROR-IF-IC AND ODDLY ENTERTAINING 
❐ BONGO...A GIRLS BEST FRIEND IS HER DOG
❐ LAUGH OUT LOUD MOMENTS
❐ DEER EFFIGIES, CREEPY DOLLS & DISAPPEARING HILLS
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 11 HOURS, 4 MINUTES
 I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY


This started out really well...I was loving the humor from the MC, I laughed out loud several times. I was loving Bongo, he was a pretty lovable dog.  Things started getting fairly creepy and mysterious.  Then just past the half-way mark, things went a little too wonky, and the humor got a little monotonous...she was obsessed with semi-colons, the dog's vet not finding out how unwell she's feeding Bongo, and basically with repeating herself, a lot...but, hey I still loved Bongo.  Dogs are cool...what can I say.

Apparently, this is some sort of retelling of Arthur Machen's The White People, which I learned from Char's review, and I have no clue what that is about...well, except for what I gleaned from this book.  All I can say is it's definitely on the freaky side.  Seriously, deer effigies, creepy dolls, and disappearing hills are just a few of the elements you'll find within this story...if you're a fan of the weird and unexplained this might be perfect for you.

I always like Hilary Huber's narration...her voice is so pleasing, I can't imagine anyone not liking her...but I did notice while listening to this that sometimes she does have some weird pronunciations of words, ones that make me wonder if it's actually me that doesn't pronounce it right...“¯\_(ツ)_/¯“.


BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 4½ STARS
Plot  3.7/5
Characters  3.5/5
The Feels  3/5
Pacing  4/5
Addictiveness  3.7/5
Theme, Tone or Intensity  3/5
Originality  4/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  4/5
World-Building  3.7/5
Ending  3.7/5
SUMMATION  3½ STARS


I LISTENED TO THIS FOR THE SQUARE 


FOR HALLOWEEN BINGO 2020





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER