Pages

Friday, July 10, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW⤏ THE RIVER AT NIGHT


BY ERICA FERENCIK

    NARRATED BY JOY OSMANSKI


    THE DETAILS


    ⤏ RIVER-RAFTING ADVENTURE
    ⤏ GONE WRONG...WAY WRONG
     SINGLE POV
    ⤏ I THINK I HEAR A BANJO PLAYING...
    ⤏ SOMEWHAT HORROR-IF-IC
    ⤏ LENGTH OF AUDIO - 8 HOURS, 26 MINUTES
    ⤏ I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY




    MY THOUGHTS⇣


    MY REVIEW IN ONE SENTENCE⤏ The River At Night has top-notch action (once it gets going anyway), a Deliverance-themed storyline, and...unfortunately, not so likable characters.

    Despite not having an affinity for these characters, I still found the story to be engaging...at least the second half is.  That's when things get crazy...did-I-hear-a-banjo-playing-in-the-distance kinds of crazy.  Once the suspense gets ratcheted up, I didn't worry too much about how mundane I found these characters to be.  This is being optioned for film and I think it could do quite well actually.  I think Winifred could be a whole lot more appealing if you got someone like Sandra Bullock to play her.

    The narration wasn't necessarily bad, I just didn't gel with her voice.  I'm trying not to let my feelings for a person's voice influence my rating too much...but it's inevitably going to.  I wonder though if it's the reason I didn't care much Winnie (the MC) all that much.  Could be...maybe...But then I didn't really care for the rest of her friends either.


    BREAKDOWN⇣

    Narration Rating ⇢ 3¾ STARS
    Plot ⇢ 4.2/5
    Characters ⇢ 3/5
    The Feels ⇢ 3.5/5
    Pacing ⇢ 4/5
    Addictiveness ⇢ 3.5/5
    Theme, Tone or Intensity ⇢ 4.3/5
    Originality/Believability ⇢4/5
    Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening) ⇢ 4/5
    Ending ⇢ 4/5
    Summation ⇢ 3¾ STARS






    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    My Latest Post

    AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER