Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW⤏ ASHLORDS


BY SCOTT REINTGEN

    NARRATED BY REBECCA SOLER, ANDREW EIDEN, LAUREN FORTGANG, & NEIL HELLEGERS


    THE DETAILS


    ⤏ UNTITLED DUOLOGY #1
    ⤏ YA FANTASY
    ⤏ FEATURING ALCHEMY/MAGIC
    ⤏ A RACE TO THE FINISH LINE
    ⤏ 3 MAIN POV'S PLUS 1 AT THE VERY END
    ⤏ WHY WAS ONE POV IN SECOND-PERSON AND THE REST IN FIRST???
    ⤏ LENGTH OF AUDIO - 10 HOURS, 1 MINUTE
    ⤏ I OWN & LISTENED ON LIBRO.FM





    MY THOUGHTS⇣


    MY REVIEW IN ONE SENTENCE⤏ I really feel this has the potential to be a great story...it just needs to fill in some of the blanks because I was left feeling confused about some of the elements at play here.

    This might be the perfect fit for someone who prefers showing over telling.  I, myself, prefer a mix of both especially when it comes to fantasy....something along the lines of a 65 (showing)/35 (telling) mix.  This was more like a mix of 90/10.  There is lot going on in this rather short-ish book that felt like we were just supposed to know what was up.  So much so, that I wonder if it can all be resolved and explained in one more book.  This brings me to another weird thing about this book...the duology has no name...unless untitled is its actual name...IDK???

    The narration for this book is absolute perfection.  Each POV has its own personnel narrator, even the small almost insignificant ones.  It was so enjoyable that it kept me listening even when I wasn't sure what in the H was going on.  I waffled between 3½ and 3¾ and ended up raising it to the higher of the two; totally because of the narration.  

    In closing, I'll probably listen to the second book...just to find out why one of the POV's is done in the second person...it's got me so curious...that and the stunning cover...it's the icy to this one's fiery. 


    BREAKDOWN⇣

    Narration Rating ⇢ 5 STARS
    Plot ⇢ 3.5/5
    Characters ⇢ 4.3/5
    The Feels ⇢ 3.5/5
    Pacing ⇢ 3.5/5
    Addictiveness ⇢ 4/5
    Theme, Tone or Intensity ⇢ 4/5
    Originality ⇢ 4/5
    Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening) ⇢ 2.8/5
    World-Building ⇢ 2.5/5
    Ending ⇢ 3.3/5
    Summation ⇢ 3¾ STARS




    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    My Latest Post

    AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER