Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW⤏ BURN OUR BODIES DOWN


BY RORY POWER

    NARRATED BY LAUREN EZZO


    THE DETAILS


    ⤏ HORROR THAT FEELS SLIGHTLY SUPERNATURAL-ISH...WELL, MAYBE?
    ⤏ YA-ISH
    ⤏ A DASH OF CHILDREN OF THE CORN
    A DASH OF THE MURDERS OF MOLLY SOUTHBOURNE
    ⤏ MIX IT UP WITH SOME PFAS-LIKE KNID OF SHIT...
    ⤏ LENGTH OF AUDIO - 10 HOURS, 9 MINUTES
    ⤏ I LISTENED TO AN ADVANCED LISTENER COPY VIA NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR A HONEST REVIEW





    MY THOUGHTS⇣


    What do you rate a book that completely baffled you...do you give high marks or low marks...I went with the middle of the flipping road, standing next to a cornfield, confused as hell...3 stars all the way.  

    I have been eagerly awaiting Netgalley adding audiobooks...and the wait is finally over...but now I'm eagerly awaiting an update to there app that is less-than subpar.  I've been emailing back and forth with Netgalley to get some of these issues resolved, like chapter skipping and more...but it is so far not going well.  I know others on Andriod phones are having the same issues as I am...and I wonder if Apple users are having the same issues?  Okay, rant over...back to my review...

    This cover, like with Wilder Girls, made me feel like I had to read/listen to it.  Another gorgeous cover from a Rory Power book...she's killing it in the cover department...she's also killing it in the book concept department...I just don't know how I feel about the execution of her concepts.  She tends to leave you confused...maybe that's her thing, IDK because she really had me confused in the first half...and then things got weird...like uniquely, crazily weird.  Was it a good kind of weird...again, I'm not sure.  This is one of those books you have to experience for yourself.

    I also wasn't feeling Lauren Ezzo's narration, I feel like she's a hit or miss kind of narrator for me.  If depressing was what they were going for, though, then she may have nailed it, but I was not into it.  I listened to this on a speed of 2.0, and I don't think I've ever listened to a book that quickly but it was the only way to make it bearable.


    BREAKDOWN⇣

    Narration Rating ⇢ 3.5 STARS
    Plot ⇢ 3/5
    Characters ⇢ 3/5
    The Feels ⇢ 3.5/5
    Pacing ⇢ 4/5
    Addictiveness ⇢ 3/5
    Theme, Tone or Intensity ⇢ 3.5/5
    Originality ⇢4/5
    Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening) ⇢ 2/5
    World-Building ⇢ 3/5
    Ending ⇢ 3.5/5
    Summation ⇢ 3 STARS





    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    My Latest Post

    AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER