Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Trilogy #1


 ๏ ๏ ๏  Highlights ๏ ๏ ๏ 

Heavy-ish on the Fantasy
Light on the Dystopian
YA
Revolution
Enslavement
Romance (of a sort)

๏ ๏ ๏ Links ๏ ๏ ๏



With Audio Performed by Justine Eyre



๏ ๏ ๏  My Thoughts ๏ ๏ ๏ 


With over 80,000 readers and an overall rating of 4.01 on Goodreads, you know that there are a few people who loved this, sadly, I'm not one of them...but I did like it, and I will more than likely keep listening to the series.  I might have liked it more if I had read it a few years ago...but reading it at this point...I feel like the writing and the overall story was there but I wasn't.

๏~ I found the world to be somewhat indiscriminent...it felt like a fantasy (with fantastical names and such) but also felt like a future dystopian-like society too.  Which does it want to be?  There is no magic system...but this I actually liked because I've been feeling like it's (magic) really played out lately.  The ending came out of nowhere to me...and I'm still a little confused about how it came about.

๏~ With the exception of Kestral and Arin, there is very little character development, but even they feel kind of wishy-washy to me.  It's as if the side characters were just inconsequential. 

๏~ The romance left me wanting more.  Do they like each other or not, is it enough that they do...this is what will keep me listening to series, ultimately.  I do love a good angsty romance, and I feel like the potential is there for that.  You know, with their people at war with each other and all.


Or...

My disappointment in this could stem from the fact that I listened to this right after listening to Daisy Jones & the Six (and I freaking loved that) and I couldn't really get into the right frame of mind for it...like a book hangover kind of feeling.  I don't know???

The Audio was okay but could have been better.  I can't seem to stress this enough...if you have pov's from both a female and a male character, then you should always have both a female and male narrators.



๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏ 


3.8STARS - GRADE=B



๏ Breakdown of Ratings ๏ 

Plot⇝ 4/5
Narration Performance⇝ 4/5
Main Characters⇝ 4/5
Secondary Characters⇝ 3.5/5
The Feels⇝ 3.7/5
Pacing⇝ 3.7/5
Addictiveness⇝ 4.2/5
Theme or Tone⇝ 4/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇝ 4.2/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇝ 4/5
Originality⇝ 4/5
Ending⇝ 4/5 Cliffhanger⇝ Of course...
๏ ๏ ๏
Book Cover⇝  It's pretty
Setting⇝ Herran, a peninsula conquered by the Valorians  
Source⇝ Audiobook (Library)
๏ ๏ ๏


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER