Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ NINTH HOUSE

 


BY LEIGH BARDUGO


NARRATED BY LAUREN FORTGANG & MICHAEL DAVID AXTELL



THE DETAILS

❐ ALEX STERN #1
❐ DUAL POV'S GALAXY (ALEX STERN) & DARLINGTON
❐ URBAN FANTASY
❐ ARCANE/DARK MAGIC
❐ I SEE DEAD PEOPLE
❐ GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF A RAPE AND VIOLENCE
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO ➯ 16 HOURS, 21 MINUTES
 I LISTENED THROUGH LIBRO.FM


Full disclosure...I didn't always know what was going on in this...it's complex, with lots of layers, but...I really wanted to know what was going on...so much so, that maybe I'll read it one day to see if I can glean more of WTH was going on. Why 4 stars for something I didn't entirely comprehend most of the time...well, there is few reasons for that.

Number one is the dark humor she had going...I was totally there for that. The author also had that humor going on in the Six of Crows duo...but in this it's a little darker and I really liked it. Number two, the characters were super likable...from Alex to Darlington to the side characters whose names I couldn't even guess to how they are spelled. They were awesome...this too reminded me of SOC's duo...such amazing characters, she has really stepped up her character game, since Shadow and Bone series, which I never actually finished. Number three, Alex sees dead people, or grays, as they are called in this story...very Sixth Sense. Lastly, the setting was so well depicted that you can tell that the Author knew this area well. Fun fact...Leigh Bardugo actually graduated from Yale...which I learned by listening to Lauren Fortgang's interview with her at the end of this audiobook.

Lauren Fortgang has narrated on all of Leigh Bardugo's books...at least the ones that I've listened too. I usually always love her narration and did so on this book too...and Michael David Axtell is new to me....but I would definitely not mind listening to something that he's narrated again.

Overall, this was an urban fantasy that's grounded in the real world...with a "we can't let the real world know what exists right in front of their eyes" kind of approach. Delving into Arcane Magic...that which entails forces or phenomena that somehow transcend the natural laws that govern the world by directly manipulating unknown energies that bend the fabric of reality to create the desired effect. I stole that from google, BTW, and now I can't figure out where from. But...from what I did understand in this story...this is exactly what it has going on. So, basically...it's crazy-cool but can also be rather discerning at times.



BREAKDOWN
Narration ➯ 5 STARS
Plot  4/5
Characters  5/5
The Feels  4.5/5
Pacing  4/5
Addictiveness  4/5
Theme, Tone or Intensity  4.5/5
Originality  5/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening)  3/5
World-Building  4/5
Ending  4/5
SUMMATION  4 STARS


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER