Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ➯ DON'T TURN AROUND


BY JESSICA BARRY


NARRATED BY SARAH ZIMMERMAN




THE DETAILS

THRILLER/SUSPENSE/MYSTERY
❐ TWO WOMEN; BOTH WITH SOMETHING TO HIDE
❐ POLITICAL IMPLICATIONS 
❐ ALL WHILE VIBING A LITTLE BIT OF JEEPERS CREEPERS 
❐ SHOULD HAVE HAD ADDITIONAL NARRATORS
❐ TRIGGER WARNING  INFERTILITY/MISCARRIAGE/ABORTION
❐ LENGTH OF AUDIO  8 HOURS, 57 MINUTES
❐ I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY


MY REVIEW IN ONE SENTENCE ➯ The synopsis only prepares you for one aspect of this story...the other aspects addressed are significant and actually kind of heavy, sometimes in a political sense.  

Told mostly from two POV"s...with sadly, only one narrator.  It took me a while to adjust to whose head I was in each time it switched and once the real action started, it switched constantly.  Sarah Zimmerman was okay-ish, but she shouldn't have done all the voices.  This should have had two female narrators for each of the women and a male one for the various male POV's...someone who can do different voices easily...Luke Daniels comes to mind...he would have been perfect.

DISCLAIMER ➯ It took me forever to decide if I wanted to disclose as much as I did on the next paragraph of this review...and finally decided to go ahead and do it since I felt blasted by all that this book takes on...and figured that it might help someone decide whether or not this book is for them.

The political/#metoo/right-to-life/pro-choice/loss-of-internet-anonymity/ aspects can be viewed quite differently from one reader/listener to another.  For me personally, I feel like the story tries to explore each of these issues from both angles.  All these topics are hot buttons these days and it seems like all of them are part of some political agenda.  I also hate politics...and thought early on about DNF-ing this, but ultimately I'm glad I stuck with it.  All these situations play out amidst the thrills of vehicle dual across the New Mexico desert in the dark of the night...which is what initially drew me to read this, that and her previous book (Freefall) that I liked.


BREAKDOWN

Narration ➯ 3/5
Plot ➯ 3.5/5
Characters ➯ 4.5/5
The Feels ➯ 3.5/5
Pacing ➯ 4.3/5
Addictiveness ➯ 4/5
Theme, Tone or Intensity ➯ 4/5
Originality/Believability ➯ 4.2/5
Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening) ➯ 3/5
Twisty-ness/Mystery ➯ 4.2/5
Ending ➯ 4.3/5
SUMMATION ➯ 4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER