Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ● THE NIGHT SWIM ●


BY MEGAN GOLDIN

    NARRATED BY BAILEY CARR, JANUARY LAVOY, & SAMANTHA DESZ


    THE DETAILS


    ❱ A MYSTERY WITHIN A MYSTERY
    ❱ A TRUE CRIME PODCAST
    ❱ RAPE & RAPE CULTURE
    ❱ TIMELY & POIGNANT WITH A SATISFYING ENDING
    ❱ LENGTH OF AUDIO - 9 HOURS, 59 MINUTES
    ❱ I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY DESPITE HAVING AN ARC
     VIA NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR A HONEST REVIEW 



    MY THOUGHTS⇣


    I am a fan of any kind of Podcast element added to a story.  If I read the word "podcast" in the synopsis...I'm totally there for it.  I actually should have read this since I received an ARC...but since The Covid hit, I haven't been able to read much of anything...but I've still been listening to a boatload of Audiobooks, almost double what I had been.  So, I recommended this to my library to purchase and I was the first one in line for it. 

    I'm super glad I went with the audio because the narration was perfectly performed by all three narrators.  I'm also relieved that I didn't have to complain about how it needed more narrators because I'm beginning to feel like a broken record on that one.  If you're put off by the reviews that say this is slow-moving...you should try it on audio...because this story was made for that format.

    The Night Swim is more of a mystery than a suspense thriller...actually, a mystery within a mystery, both of which take place in the same town.  One currently, which is the courtroom drama of a rape trial and the other one in the past which was never reported or looked at as a crime.  Overall, this is equal parts slow-burn mystery, courtroom drama, and a girl trying to get justice for her sister.  It deals with rape, slut-shaming, and being poor in such a realistic and heartbreaking manner that this should not be missed or overlooked.  Whether you read it or listen to it...although obviously, I definitely recommend the latter.


    BREAKDOWN

     Narration Rating ⇢ 5 STARS
     Plot ⇢ 5/5
     Characters ⇢ 5/5
     The Feels ⇢ 5/5
     Pacing ⇢ 5/5
     Addictiveness ⇢ 5/5
     Theme, Tone or Intensity ⇢ 5/5
     Originality/Believability ⇢ 5/5
     Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening) ⇢ 4.8/5
     Ending ⇢ 5/5
     Summation ⇢ 5 STARS




    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    My Latest Post

    AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER