Pages

Friday, October 11, 2019

The Wolves of Winter by Tyrell Johnson

FEATURING


Post-Apocalyptic Nuclear Winter
Survival
A Deadly Virus
Bioengineered Humans
An Awesome Dog Named Wolf (who isn't a wolf)
Tiny Splash of Romance
Reads More Like Older YA


With Audio Performed by Jayme Mattler


LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 5 STARS | GRADE A+



MY THOUGHTS


I loved this, I had no idea it was going to go in the direction it did, and I was so into it once it did.

What starts out as a typical end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it survival story in the Yukon takes a left turn into this secret (possibly government) cover-up.  Think...Dark Angel (you know the show with Jessica Alba) with augmented humans, with super abilities, who have escaped and just want to be left alone.  Mixed with a cold unforgiving backdrop of never-ending nuclear winter, and a super-virus that has killed a large percentage of the population that the government agency is still trying to find a cure for.  I, personally, found this unputdownable.  Other readers have said they found this to be slow, even boring, but I don't get it.  I listened to this, for the most part, in one day.  If that doesn't scream compelling...I don't know what does.

The Audio was seamlessly performed by Jayme Mattler, she fit the voice of the weirdly distinct MC, perfectly.  I hope the author decides to continue with this world he has created because I really want to know where he plans to take it.  I want more Lynn & Jax.  The possibilities this could go in have me stoked.  Please don't do what Dark Angel did and leave me hanging.


THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 5+/5
Narration Performance 5/5
Characters 5/5
The Feels 5+/5
Pacing 5/5
Addictiveness 5/5
Theme or Tone 5/5
Flow (Writing Style) 5/5
Backdrop (World Building) 5/5
Originality 5/5
Ending 5/5 Cliffhanger Yes, and the Author hopes to write another book...hopes...I don't know if that's good enough for me.
_____

Book Cover It's perfect for the book, but she should be carrying her bow.
Setting Yukon Territory, Canada
Source Libby Audiobook (Library)
Length 8 hours, 54 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER