Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Reigning and the Rule by Calia Read

Surviving Time #2


FEATURING


Time Travel
Requires A Suspension of Belief
Historical Romance
The Early 1900's
Mystery
Sex-Plicit
Rating for Book #1 - 3 Stars


LINK TO Book #1 SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 4.3 STARS | GRADE A-



MY THOUGHTS


I only gave book #1 in this series 3 STARS, I had issues with plot holes and the overall believability of the time travel.  I think my main issue is usually in time-traveling books the person goes through time but remains in the same location.  This has Serene changing locations...like by states and all.  But if I set that issue aside and just go with it, I found this second book to be much better.  Also, the plot holes were filled up, for the most part, and everything started clicking into place for me.  She doesn't just time travel...she changes time and it has some drastic results.

I still loved the connection between Serene and Etienne, which I also did in the first book, their chemistry is what makes the story.  His reaction when she cusses like a sailor or talks about whores and sluts is absolutely priceless.  If any man brought up in that era can go with that kind of talk from a lady...he's a keeper.

This time around, though, I was wishing she would stop waffling on her feelings for him and going over something again and again...I feel like this kind of indecisiveness in romance books is just done for filler, and this book doesn't need filler, it clocks in at 479 pages, after all.  There is enough going on plotwise that fewer pages of it would be welcomed.  The ending has some surprising elements that I won't give away...but they are so significant that I decided to start the third and final book straight-away.



THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 4.3/5
Characters 5/5
The Feels 4.3/5
Pacing 3.8/5
Addictiveness 4.3/5
Theme or Tone 5/5
Flow (Writing Style) 4.3/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4.3/5
Originality 4/5
Ending 5/5 Cliffhanger Yes! More than one, actually.
_____

Book Cover It's really pretty.  I love the new covers for the series, actually.
Setting Present Time Champaign, Illinois &1913-ish Charleston, South Carolina
Source Kindle eBook (KU)
eBook Length 479 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER