Pages

Friday, October 18, 2019

Lights All Night Long by Lydia Fitzpatrick

FEATURING


Russian Exchange Student in America
A Coming of Age Story
Literary 
Murder Mystery
The Anguish of Addiction


With Audio Performed by Michael Crouch

LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 4 STARS | GRADE B+



MY THOUGHTS


The synopsis sets up this story wonderfully, so I suggest reading that.  A thoughtfully told, heartbreaking narrative with alternating timelines, between the past in Russia leading up to Ilya's exchange trip to America and from present tense in Louisiana where he is determined to prove his brother's, Vladimir's, innocence. While the slow pace of the story left me wanting to rush this...I kept waiting for something thrilling to happen and once it finally did, I kind of missed the mark with me.  It may have also touched on religion a tad more than I'm comfortable with.

Ultimately, this packs more of a literary punch than action-packed punch, with themes of familial bonds, addiction, and dreaming of something better, this is overall, a genuinely heartfelt story and one that is not to be missed.

The Audio performance is well performed by Michael Crouch, as usual, he even pulled off all those Russian words with finesse...I think...since I don't speak Russian.

THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 4/5
Narration Performance 4.5/5
Characters 4/5
The Feels 3.7/5
Pacing 3.2/5
Addictiveness 4/5
Theme or Tone 4.2/5
Flow (Writing Style) 4/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4.5/5
Originality 5/5
Ending 4.5/5
_____

Book Cover Love it!
Setting Berlozhniki, Russia & Effie, Louisianna 
Source Libby Audiobook (Library)
Length 12 hours, 3 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER