Pages

Friday, October 18, 2019

The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman

FEATURING


Prequel to Practical Magic
Spanning the 50s, 60s, 70s...and more
A Long Line of Witches
Family Curse
Romance & Love


With Audio Performed by Marin Ireland

LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 3.7 STARS | GRADE B



MY THOUGHTS


Full Disclosure:  I've never watched Practical Magic, not that I can remember, anyway...and I've never read the book either.  So, I can't really tell you if this is a good place to start with the series or not.  I  can tell you that I was never at a loss for what was going on in the story...and this takes you right up to when the characters, Gillian and Sally from the movie/book come to live with their Aunts Franny and Jet at a young age.  Although, maybe the fact that I've never read Practical Magic is the reason why I didn't love this, like so many others have.  

Don't get me wrong...it's not at all bad, the story has merit and I even found some of the witchiness appealing here and there...even though witch stories aren't really my thing.    Not enough, that I want to read Practical Magic or anything...but maybe, I wouldn't mind watching the movie.  I did especially love the characters of Franny, Jet, and Vincent. They made the story, for sure.  I think if witch stories are your thing, then you will love this and the Audio is even decently done by Marin Ireland.


THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 3.8/5
Narration Performance 4.3/5
Characters 4.5/5
The Feels 3/5
Pacing 3.8/5
Addictiveness 4/5
Theme or Tone 4.3/5
Flow (Writing Style) 4.3/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4.5/5
Originality 4/5
Ending 4.7/5 Cliffhanger Not really.
_____

Book Cover It's okay...I guess.
Setting NY, NY, & Massachusetts
Source Libby Audiobook (Library)
Length 10 hours, 58 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER