Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2019

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

FEATURING


Vampires
Dystopian-ish
Like A Slightly Skewed Version of Our World
Quarantined Vampire Towns
Kick-Ass Heroine
A Smattering of Romance
Stand-Alone


With Audio Performed by Christine Lakin

LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 4.7 STARS | GRADE A



MY THOUGHTS


I've had this on TBR for an eternity now, and I should have read this sooner.  The ratings for this are all over the place...and I am one of the readers who found this to be a refreshingly real (and I use that term loosely, of course) take on vampires.  As real as a Dystopian/Apocalyptic/slightly skewed version of our world with a Vampire Virus-like premise can be, anyhow.  We still have electricity and even the internet and teenagers are still trying to find the ultimate party.  So, not so different...just the added element of Coldtowns.

The writing is excellent, the Vampires are scary, the MC is kind of badass, the romance is minimal and lastly, the audio version of this is quite fantastic.  It has music, either at the beginning of a chapter or the end of one.  Scary music gets me every time, what can I say.  Christine Lakin does a pretty good job with the narration, also.  If you haven't read this yet, and you like a totally different vibe of Vampires than the Twilight Series, I highly recommend it.  Especially, on Audio!

THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 4.8/5
Narration Performance 5/5
Characters 5/5
The Feels 4.7/5
Pacing 4.5/5
Addictiveness 4.5/5
Theme or Tone 5/5
Flow (Writing Style) 4.4/5
Backdrop (World Building) 5/5
Originality 5/5
Ending 5/5 Cliffhanger⇢ It is kind of open-ended...
_____

Book Cover It's okay...but I can't help but think that it may be the reason it's taken me so long to read this.
Setting Mostly Springfield, MA
Source Audiobook (Library)
Length 12 hours, 6 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER