Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2020

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW⤏ SIX OF CROWS

BY LEIGH BARDUGO

    NARRATED BY  JAY SNYDER, BRANDON RUBIN, FRED BERMAN, LAUREN FORTGANG, ROGER CLARK, ELIZABETH EVANS, TRISTAN MORRIS



    SYNOPSIS FROM AUTHORS WEBSITE⇣
    Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price–and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone…
    A convict with a thirst for revenge.
    A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager.
    A runaway with a privileged past.
    A spy known as the Wraith.
    A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
    A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.
    Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.



    THDETAILS


    ⤏ BOOK #1 OF SIX OF CROWS DUOLOGY
     YA-ISH FANTASY
     SET IN THE GRISHA-VERSE
     A HEIST...THINK OCEANS 11 MEETS A FANTASY WORLD
     WITH AN INTRIGUING CREW OF SIX 
     SOME SUBTLE ROMANCE
    ⤏ LENGTH OF AUDIO - 15 HOURS, 4 MINUTES
     I LISTENED ON AUDIBLE








    MY THOUGHTS⇣


    I liked this so much more than The Shadow and Bone Trilogy...which is due in part to the characters and the central plot differences...which I'll get to, and also the full-cast narration.  The narration was not only fantastically performed by all but also expertly cast...each voice was perfect for each character.  I was leaning towards a 4¾ star rating but easily felt it deserved to be upped to 5 stars with the narration.

    I've only listened to book one and two of The Shadow and Bone Trilogy because I was turned off by the love triangle and the overt special snowflake theme it had going on.  The GrishaVerse was also a little intimidating for me.  Overall, it just wasn't doing it for me and I thought I needed to finish that trilogy to understand this duo.  For that reason, I put off listening to this and I've had the Audiobook on Audible for a couple years at least.  I finally decided what the heck, I might as well try it...so glad I did because the plot centers on six characters, all of which are unique in their own way but they're mostly just trying to survive and thrive on luck and skill.  I also can't resist a good heist story...and this one really delivered.

    I loved the subtle romance(s) and flirtations going on between these characters, it felt so natural and added to the story.  I especially loved Mathias and Nina's characters...they are my favs.  While I believe it helped to know what I gleaned from the original trilogy, if you, like me, found Shadow and Bone not really to your liking but still the world felt like it had potential and feel like Six of Crows could be something you would like, give this a try.  Also, if you get tripped up by anything you could read up on the Grishaverse from some of the fan sites on the net...I did that and it cleared up quite a few elements for me.


    BREAKDOWN⇣

    Narration Rating 5/5
    Plot 5/5
    Characters 5/5
    The Feels 5/5
    Pacing 5/5
    Addictiveness 5/5
    Theme, Tone or Intensity 5/5
    Originality 5+/5
    Flow (Writing Style/Ease of Listening) 4.7/5
    World-Building 4.5/5
    Ending 5/5




    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    My Latest Post

    AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER