Pages

Monday, September 16, 2019

The Girl in Red by Christina Henry

FEATURING


Red Riding Hood
On Her Way to Grandma's House
Fairytale Retelling
Viral Apocalypse
Survival
Darkish & Mysterious
Horror-if-ic


LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)



MY RATING⇢ 4.2 STARS | GRADE B+


MY THOUGHTS


If you like your fairytale retellings to be fun and full of happy elements...this isn't quite the right fit for you.  This one is bleak and full of end of the world sadness and destruction.

For a fairytale retelling, the ending is perfect.  But, for an apocalypse story, I was like WTF this can't be ending like this.  I was left wondering...what about this and what about that...no way, you're just going to leave me hanging like this.  I also read on the Author's site, that she has no plans at this time to write a sequel...insert disappointed face.

Basically, she took an apocalypse/dystopian premise and weaved it into the story of Little Red Riding Hood.  When looked at it from this standpoint the story completely delivers.  But, when looked at it from the standpoint of an apocalypse/dystopian story with references to Red Riding Hood...it definitely leaves you wanting more from it.  Her premise for the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it was not only clever, but it was also rather intense at times.  With an air of mystery added to it, I was completely hooked.

But...I want more...seriously, I know I'm not the only one...


THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 4.2/5
Narration Performance 4.5/5
Characters 4.3/5
The Feels 4.2/5
Pacing 4/5
Addictiveness 4.3/5
Theme or Tone 4.5/5
Flow (Writing Style) 4.3/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4.3/5
Originality 5/5
Ending 3.8/5 Cliffhanger Not exactly...but it is rather open-ended.
_____

Book Cover It's actually quite awesome!
Setting I believe it's in the US...but, I'm not sure if they ever mention an actual town name.
Source Own Audible Audiobook
Length 8 hours, 21 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER