Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Girl From The Well by Rin Chupeco

FEATURING


Ghosts & Possessions
Dark Spirits & Exorcisms
Japanese Folklore
Sort of Horror-if-ic
No Romance Whatsoever
Interesting, but I felt detached...

With Audio Performed by Andy Arndt


LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 3 STARS | GRADE C



MY THOUGHTS


This would make for a super creepy movie...but as for listening...I didn't really get too frightened, except maybe in the beginning.  I think this could be due to the fact that it's told from the POV of the Ghost.  That and she only kills people who hurt kids, so that really isn't all that scary.  In that respect, it reminded me of Anna Dressed in Blood (which I rated about the same).  Basically, the effect isn't as freaky scary as it could be if I had actual visuals.  Maybe, it's also why I failed to be fully immersed in the story.

Despite this, it is a unique story steeped in Japanese myths, legends, or lore whichever you prefer to name it.  Rin Chupeco has said that her inspiration for this story is from an old Japanese legend or ghost story called the Bancho Sarayashiki.  Which is also the basis for the movie, The Ring.  BTW, I can't watch that movie...it's too scary for me, lol.  Talk about creepy visuals...

Andi Arndt didn't feel quite like the right fit for the narration, but I normally love her, so I can't say anything too bad about her.



THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 3/5
Narration Performance 4.5/5
Characters 3.3/5
The Feels 3/5
Pacing 2.5/5
Addictiveness 3/5
Theme or Tone 3/5
Flow (Writing Style) 2.5/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4/5
Originality 4/5
Ending 3.5/5 Cliffhanger Sort of, but not really...and there is a second book.
_____

Book Cover I actually had a different cover than the one above (I like the one above better though)...I had the Audio Version of the cover, which is very creepy...

35799923
...totally creepy, right?

Setting Japan and somewhere in the US...maybe Maine, I can't remember now.
Source Audiobook (Library)
Length 6 hours, 44 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER