Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

THE FOLK OF THE AIR #1


FEATURING


Fairies
I Don't Feel That This Is YA
More Like YA-ish
Court Intrigue, Cruel Intentions,
Poisonings, Betrayals,
Decadence & Debauchery
A Few Splashes of Romance


With Narration Performed by Caitlin Kelly


LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)


MY RATING⇢ 4.3 STARS | GRADE A-



MY THOUGHTS


I don't usually read fae books, but I really liked Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, also there are a lot of readers who loved this, so I decided to give this a whirl, and I'm glad I did. 

Holly Black's faeries are definitely a fantastical fae as opposed to a paranormal fae (think TrueBlood) and I prefer them in this fantastical vein over the paranormal.  Apparently, these faeries even have horns in addition to pointy ears.  They are also kind of mean...some are really mean.  Like pretty on the outside but ugly AF on the inside; kind of mean.  What I don't get is why Jude wants to live in their world at all, but she does for some reason and she's trying to make the best of it and maybe even, get the best of them...the faeries.

This first book in The Folk of the Air Series is all the things I've said at the top of the page and more...within its pages you'll find moments to laugh at, gasp at, and even a few oh no, she didn't moments plus a few that will make you completely pissed off.  There is also a few things about Fairyland that are just plain off.  While the last half is insanely intense, the first half is sort of slow-ish but listening on Audio will make that more bearable because of the fairly excellent narration by Caitlin Kelly.



THE BREAKDOWN⇢  


Plot 4.3/5
Narration Performance 4.5/5
Characters 4.2/5
The Feels 4/5
Pacing 4.3/5
Addictiveness 4/5
Theme or Tone 4/5
Flow (Writing Style) 4/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4.3/5
Originality 4.3/5
Ending 4.3/5 Cliffhanger "to be continued"
_____

Book Cover I really like it.  I'm a fan of anything treelike.
Setting The Shifting Isles of Elfhame and the Human World
Source Libby Audiobook (Library)
Length 12 hours, 36 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER