Pages

Friday, February 28, 2020

REVIEW⇢ REBEL RISING (STAR WARS)

BY BETH REVIS




    SYNOPSIS FROM AUTHORS WEBSITE⇣
    When Jyn Erso was eight years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents, she is not completely alone-Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny takes her in as his own, and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.

    Jyn dedicates herself to the cause-and the man. But fighting alongside Saw and his people brings with it danger and the question of just how far Jyn is willing to go as one of Saw’s soldiers. When she faces an unthinkable betrayal that shatters her world, Jyn will have to pull the pieces of herself back together and figure out what she truly believes in… and who she can really trust.


    BOOK TAGS


     JYN ERSO'S STORY
    ⤏ FROM THE TIME HER MOTHER DIES AND FATHER DISAPPEARS
     TOLD IN ALTERNATING TIMELINES
     NOT NEARLY ENOUGH DROIDS IN THIS ONE
     SPLASH OF ROMANCE

      BOOK DETAILS⇣


      AUDIO PERFORMED BY REBECCA SOLAR
      NARRATION RATING  3.5/5 --I DON'T THINK SHE WAS GOOD FIT...
      BOOK COVER IT WORKS
      SETTING STAR WARS UNIVERSE
      SOURCE LIBBY AUDIOBOOK (LIBRARY)
      AUDIOBOOK LENGTH 9 HOURS, 53 MINUTES


      MY THOUGHTS⇣


      This is my third book in Star Wars Disney Canon Novels and despite really liking Rogue One (the movie), I didn't like this as much as Solo or Most Wanted.  It was okay, but it didn't grab me like those books did.  Maybe, it was the lack of droids or the narration or the timing of when I read it.  It could even possibly be the constant back in forth of timelines; that I couldn't follow, or maybe it was the writing. Not to say that I don't like Beth Revis' writing, just that possibly since Rae Carson's Most Wanted was the first Star Wars book I listened too, maybe I like her writing best because she was what I cut my teeth on, so to speak.

      It's not as if it's lacking action, because there is plenty of that and it also has heartfelt moments too...and it was interesting to get a backstory for Jyn...one that fit with her character in Rogue One.  Overall, I think it was a little of each of those reasons above that made it less than spectacular for me.


      MY RATING ✰STARS✰


      BREAKDOWN⇣

      Plot 3.7/5
      Characters 4/5
      The Feels 3.5/5
      Pacing 3.5/5
      Addictiveness 3.5/5
      Theme or Tone 4/5
      Flow (Writing Style) 3/5
      World-Building 4/5
      Ending 3.5/5




      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      My Latest Post

      AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER