Pages

Friday, January 31, 2020

REVIEW: THIS VICIOUS CURE (THIS MORTAL COIL #3)

BY EMILY SUVADA




    SYNOPSIS FROM AUTHORS WEBSITE⇣
    SPOILERS AHEAD:  DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE READ BOOKS #1 & #2.  MY REVIEW IS SPOILER-FREE THOUGH...Cat’s hacking skills weren’t enough to keep her from losing everything—her identity, her past, and now her freedom. She’s trapped and alone, but she’s survived this long, and she’s not giving up without a fight.
    Though the outbreak has been contained, a new threat has emerged—one that’s taken the world to the brink of a devastating war. With genetic technology that promises not just a cure for the plague, but a way to prevent death itself, both sides will stop at nothing to seize control of humanity’s future.
    Facing her smartest, most devastating enemy yet, Cat must race against the clock to protect her friends and save the lives of millions on the planet’s surface. No matter the outcome, humanity will never be the same.
    And this time, Cat can’t afford to let anything, or anyone, stand in her way.


    BOOK TAGS


     SCIENCE FICTION  DYSTOPIAN  YA ⁝ GENE-HACKING, SPLICING & TECHY TERMS  ACTUALLY A LOT OF IT WENT OVER MY HEAD ⁝ SPLASH OF ROMANCE ⁝ A ZOMBIE-LIKE VIRUS 

      BOOK DETAILS⇣


      AUDIO PERFORMED BY SKYE BENNETT
      NARRATION RATING  3.5/5
      BOOK COVER IT MATCHES ALL THE OTHERS...
      SETTING A FUTURISTIC UNITED STATES
      SOURCE LIBRO FM AUDIOBOOK
      AUDIOBOOK LENGTH 12 HOURS, 11 MINUTES


      MY THOUGHTS⇣


      In my review of book #1 (This Mortal Coil), I stated that "this was completely comprehensible and a seriously compelling story, especially for a book involving gene hacking, splicing, decoding and lots of technical terms and such".  In my review for Book #2 (This Cruel Design), I stated that "I wished I could say that this book was the same for me...and it almost was, I just got a little lost in the beginning (and maybe, a little throughout)...but, eventually things started clicking for me".  For this book (#3) I was feeling even more confused by all the technical terms and such and things took a tad longer to click. 😕

      I'm certain that if I had waited to read all three books together, or at least somewhat together instead of a year apart, I would have been able to retain more of the techy-talk, the plot and the multiple characters.  I was basically left reeling for the first third of the book.  My advice; read these books as close together as you can, I'm positive that I would have rated each story 5 stars if I had.  Someday maybe I'll binge these books...although I may decide that I don't like the narrator enough to do that.  Her voice was a little grating after a while.

      Even with all my issues, I still found this series to be smartly written, with an exceptional plotline...it surprised me with the many twists and turns it takes throughout, it's definitely not predictable and I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who likes science fiction.  


      MY RATING 4✰STARS✰


      BREAKDOWN⇣

      Plot 4/5
      Characters 4.3/5
      The Feels 4/5
      Pacing 4/5
      Addictiveness 4/5
      Theme or Tone 4/5
      Flow (Writing Style) 3.5/5
      World-Building 3.8/5
      Originality 5/5
      Ending 4/5




      Other Books in the Series...



      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      My Latest Post

      AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER