Pages

Monday, January 13, 2020

REVIEW: A BOY AND HIS DOG AND THE END OF THE WORLD

BY C.A. FLETCHER


SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS⇣
My name's Griz. My childhood wasn't like yours. I've never had friends, and in my whole life, I've not met enough people to play a game of football.
My parents told me how crowded the world used to be, but we were never lonely on our remote island. We had each other, and our dogs.
Then the thief came.
There may be no law left except what you make of it. But if you steal my dog, you can at least expect me to come after you.
Because if we aren't loyal to the things we love, what's the point?


THE KEY POINTS OF THE STORY⇣


⬥DYSTOPIAN WORLD
⬥A QUEST TO GET BACK A STOLEN DOG
⬥A DEPRESSING & SHATTERED EARTH
⬥SORTA TWISTY
⬥FABULOUS ENDING


BOOK DETAILS⇣


AUDIO PERFORMED BY⇢ The Author (C.A. Fletcher)
NARRATION RATING⇢ 2.5/5
BOOK COVER I like it.
SETTING I believe it's somewhere in Scotland.
SOURCE LibroFM Audiobook
AUDIOBOOK LENGTH 10 hours, 48 minutes


MY THOUGHTS⇣


I feel like when an author decides to narrate his/her own book, they are probably thinking that "who else could narrate my book better than me, I know the emotions that I'm trying to convey better than anyone else would".  But seriously, unless the book is Non-Fiction like an autobiography, you really shouldn't do the narrating yourself, unless you're already an established narrator.  So far, I've not found a fiction book narrated by the author that had what I would call favorable narration.  Fletcher's voice in this was rather toneless and overall, didn't really work for me.

The writing alone in this story really worked its way into my bones, but in a sad, depressing way...so much so, that I found myself not wanting to listen to it.  This coupled with my issues with the narration had me not enjoying this story as much as I could have.  But...I stuck with it, and I am so glad I did because this story does have something worthwhile to impart.

Why four stars when it seems like I didn't like it that much...that would be the ending...it was so amazing that it made up for a lot of my issues, I even decided that the narration shouldn't derail the rating down too much, either...yeah, it really was that satisfying.


MY RATING 4 STARS | GRADE B+


BREAKDOWN⇣

Plot⇢ 4/5
Characters⇢ 4/5
The Feels⇢ 3.7/5
Pacing⇢ 3.5/5
Addictiveness⇢ 3.5/5
Theme or Tone⇢ 3.7/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇢ 3.8/5
World-Building/Twisty-ness⇢ 4/5
Originality⇢ 4.5/5
Ending⇢5+/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Latest Post

AUDIOBOOK ➯ THE PERFECT MOTHER